Check out this article, compliments of JuicePlus+, that includes links to some other great recipes for your homegrown tomatoes, along with some information about all the reasons you should include this nutritional powerhouse in your diet. Yes, eating can be delicious, fun AND healthy!! If you like this article, join my JuicePlus+ email list and receive regular health and nutrition news along with great recipes.
Ingredients for "Sally's Send-off" Heirloom Tomato, Chèvre and Tarragon Pie:
1 Store-bought pie or tart shell
2 large Heirloom Tomatoes, sliced into ~1/8-1/4-inch disks (preferably different colors for contrast)
6 oz. fresh Chèvre (goat cheese)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1-2 tbsp. Fresh Tarragon (finely chopped, and a few leaves for garnish if desired)
1 cup half and half
~1 tsp. Kosher salt (plus extra for seasoning tomatoes)
~1/4 tsp. black pepper (plus extra for seasoning tomatoes)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Layer ingredients in pie crust, starting with 1/2 the Parmesan, then layer the tomato slices slightly overlapping each other and working towards the middle.
- Lightly sprinkle the tomatoes with a couple pinches of salt and pepper, then sprinkle on the tarragon.
- Evenly distribute the Chèvre over the tomatoes, followed by the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, Kosher salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the tomatoes and cheese.
- Place in 400 degree oven and bake for ~35-40 minutes, or until it reaches a golden brown.
- Check periodically to make sure the crust isn't browning too quickly. If it is, place a sheet of tin foil loosely over the top for the remainder of the cooking time.
- Cut in wedges and serve.